The School of Hospitality Business Management at Washington State University will kick off its annual Hospitality Week Tuesday, March 8, featuring a lineup of events open to the public, including the Bellhop and celebration of new inductees into the SHBM Hall of Fame.
Tuesday’s events include an expert industry panel at 12 p.m. via Zoom that will feature hospitality experts discussing career opportunities and challenges in the hospitality industry. Registration is available on the Industry Expert Panel website. Panelists include:
- Sam Johnson, senior vice president of operations, The Hotel Group
- Joe Fugere (’84), founder and CEO, Tutta Bella
- Brian McGinnis (’77), owner, Pinnacle Real Estate LLC
- Julie Purnell (’86), senior director of asset management, Flynn Holdings
At 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, the Women in Hospitality panel will feature career perspectives via Zoom from three hospitality professionals. Registration is available on the Women in Hospitality Panel website. Panelists include:
- Odette Brown, regional vice president of franchise services, Choice Hotels
- Leah Murphy (’05, ’07), senior director, Jane Hotel Group
- Zoe LaClair, director of asset management, Magna Hospitality
- Abby Murtagh, general manager, Arizona Biltmore, will moderate the panel
On Wednesday, March 9, the Granger Cobb Institute for Senior living will host an inaugural senior living lecture at 3:10 p.m., featuring Murry Mercier, general manager for senior living, PointClickCare. Mercier will present “Living with Dementia: Hospitality, Home and Relations.” Registration is available on the Granger Cobb Speaker Event website.
On Thursday, March 10, Sara Phelps, director of astronaut and customer experience at Blue Origin, will present “A New Era in Space Astronaut Experience: Hospitality for the New Golden Age of Space Travel” at the annual Burtenshaw Distinguished Lecture at 1:25 p.m. Registration is available on the Burtenshaw Lecture website.
At 4 p.m. on Thursday, the School of Hospitality Business Management will host the annual Burtenshaw Career Night, followed by a reception at 6:15 p.m. The career night event is a hospitality-company recruitment exhibition for WSU students majoring or minoring in hospitality business management, as well as other business students. Registration is available on the Burtenshaw Hospitality Career Night website.
On Friday, March 11, the School of Hospitality Business Management will host the Bellhop and Hall of Fame Celebration at 5 p.m. Guests may register for $125 until March 1 on the Bellhop Dinner website. Attendees may support the hospitality school by purchasing event sponsorships at three registration levels: Pineapple $10,000, Crimson $5,000, and Gray $2,500. During the Bellhop program, SHBM will recognize Hall of Fame inductees:
- Anthony Anton (’91), president and CEO, Washington Hospitality Association
- Navin Dimond (’85), CEO and chairman, Stonebridge Companies
- Gregory Rapp (’92), founder, Menu Engineer (deceased)
- Clarice Turner, board director and trustee, hospitality and culinary sectors
“We are excited to celebrate our 90th anniversary as the WSU School of Hospitality Business Management,” said Bob Harrington, SHBM director. “The Bellhop honors the past, celebrates the present and builds the future of our identity as one of the top five hospitality schools in the nation.”