WSU will paint the town crimson on the eve of the WSU vs. Grambling State football game in Seattle.
The Cougar Marching Band, cheer squad, alumni, students and fans will fill Westlake Center with crimson pride beginning at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 16, during the second annual downtown Seattle Cougar spirit rally.
“The spirit rally was organized initially at the suggestion of many westside alumni,” said Sally Savage, vice president, University Relations. “They wanted a high energy get-together in advance of the football game at Qwest field. Last year’s event certainly met that expectation.”
“This event is a fantastic opportunity for westside Cougars to wear their crimson and show their Cougar spirit in the heart of Seattle,” said Tim Pavish, executive director, Alumni Relations. “It also provides the university with a high-profile venue to showcase some of WSU’s many world-class achievements.”
A rally highlight is the Cougar Marching Band, which — at more than 260 members — is one of the largest marching bands in the Pac-10.
WSU events on game day have expanded. For the first time, the university will hold Future Cougar Day in Seattle in conjunction with pre-game festivities. The event, designed to provide high school students the chance to learn more about the university, will be 1-4 p.m. at the Qwest Events Center.
“We’re hoping the academic displays, recruitment materials and the opportunity to interact with university personnel will encourage students to visit campus for a closer look,” said Vicki McCracken, associate vice president and vice provost, Enrollment Services.
Details on all WSU activities are available at: http://www.wsu.edu/seattle.
Major 2005 Seattle events:
Wednesday, Sept. 14
• Cougar Jazz Night, 6 p.m., Tula’s Jazz Club.
Thursday, Sept. 15
• Boeing-WSU Partnership Celebration, Bell Harbor (for WSU alumni who are Boeing employees).
Friday, Sept. 16
• WSU Power Breakfast, 7-9 a.m., Seattle Sheraton Hotel and Towers.
• Future Cougars of Color Diversity Scholarship Luncheon, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Macy’s.
• Spirit rally with the Cougar Marching Band, cheer squad and fans, 5 p.m., Westlake Center Mall.
• President’s welcome to President’s Associates, Life Members in the WSU Alumni Association and guests, hosted by WSU Foundation and Alumni Association.
Saturday, Sept. 17
• Pre-game activities for Cougars of all ages; prospective student welcome, 1 p.m., Qwest Events Center.
• Football, WSU Cougars vs. Grambling State Tigers, 4 p.m., Qwest Field. The Cougar Marching Band will fire up the crowd with pre-game and half-time performances. Grambling’s band, known as “the show band from Tigerland,” will present a special post-game concert.