Internal and external audits have historically found high error rates related to time and leave activities.
Prior to Workday implementation, the following types of time reporting discrepancies have been found during both routine audits and investigations:
- Employees not reporting time taken off and not worked (to be recorded as annual leave, comp time or other leave) and supervisors signing approval for the false entries, impacting either amount paid out or accuracy of leave balances.
- Supervisors signing time records before the end of the time period and sending the approved time record back to the employee (this allows for false entries without further supervisor approval).
External auditors have determined these types of issues to be more than errors and have classified them as fraud, on the part of the employee, and poor management and monitoring, on the part of the supervisor. Although reporting time worked, time off and absence request activity is more efficiently and accurately processed within Workday, these types of issues may still occur in the current environment.
Post Workday implementation, employees still have the following responsibilities:
- Employees must report absences timely and submit only hours as worked.
- Supervisors must take care to ensure that all hours and leave recorded is accurate and has been submitted through Workday, and then, approve hours at the end of the period and/or only after all hours claimed to have been worked have been verified.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of references (available at Workday Knowledge Base) where responsibilities for time and leave are discussed:
- Employee Request and Correct Time Off
- Enter and Correct Time – Employee
- Enter and Correct Time Off and Absence on Behalf of Employee – HR Partner
- Enter and Correct Time on Behalf of Employee – HR Partner
- Enter and Correct Time on Behalf of Employee – Timekeeper
- Enter and Correct Time via Workday Mobile – Employee
- Enter Time Off on Behalf of Employee – Timekeeper
- Approve Enter and Correct Time On Behalf of Employee – Manager
- Manage Time Off and Leave of Absence – Manager
- Request and Correct Time Off via Workday Mobile – Employee
- General Time and Absence