WSU Police and Pullman Police would like students, faculty, and staff to be aware of telephone scams where callers claim to have compromising photos of the person they are calling or texting, and then demand payment in exchange for keeping them private.
Here is what you should know:
- If you have provided nude or compromising photos to someone, online or by phone, don’t do it again.
- Try not to panic. If you don’t know the caller, it is highly unlikely that he/she has any actual photos or material.
- If it is a text, do not use the link.
- You should never provide personal or financial information to someone who contacts you out of the blue — even if they are making threats.
- Report fraud to the FTC: reportfraud.ftc.gov
- If you have already provided payment, or believe that a crime has occurred, call non‑emergency dispatch at 509‑332‑2521.