Washington State University Everett is hosting its first-ever convocation ceremony on Wednesday, Sept. 20, starting at 10:30 a.m. This event welcomes all members of the WSU community and the public to the campus for a day of celebration, reflection, and looking forward to the future.
Everett Mayor Cassie Franklin is participating as a distinguished speaker. He will be joined for the celebration by several members of the WSU Everett Advisory Council as well as other prominent community figures.
WSU Everett is also proud to introduce new faculty additions.
- Shannon Calderone, from the College of Education, will be a significant addition to WSU Everett’s Ed.D. in Education Leadership program.
- Dr. Linus Lu will bring a rich blend of industry and academic experience to the campus as the leader of WSU Everett’s new Cybersecurity program.
- Gani Nurmukhametov is joining WSU Everett’s Data Analytics program as a scholarly assistant professor to enhance the depth and breadth of the program.
Alongside introducing new faculty members, WSU Everett officials will announce that several faculty will now also undertake administrative duties, complementing their current teaching and department leadership roles:
- Jacob Murray has been appointed vice chancellor of Academic Affairs.
- Sergey Lapin will now serve as the vice chancellor of Research, guiding research endeavors to new heights.
- Xiaopeng Bi has taken on the pivotal role of vice chancellor of Student Success, ensuring students receive the best support and resources for their academic journey.
Chancellor Paul Pitre expressed his excitement about the appointments, stating, “These appointments reflect the core values of WSU Everett in fostering academic excellence, innovative research, and student success. Sergey, Jacob, and Xiaopeng have demonstrated exceptional leadership and commitment to the EverCoug community, and I am confident that they will continue to drive our institution toward new heights.”
The new vice chancellors will play pivotal roles in executing WSU Everett’s strategic vision, strengthening academic programs, and enhancing research capabilities. The campus’ first convocation was one of the early priorities for newly-appointed Vice Chancellor Murray.
“The inaugural Convocation ceremony at WSU Everett is a historical moment for us,” said Murray. “It is a cherished academic tradition, symbolizing the commencement of a student’s journey in higher education. We are proud to witness our campus evolve to a point where we can offer this significant experience to our students. Following the ceremony, our students will participate in the ‘Welcome Walk,’ a rite of passage into the WSU Everett community. As they complete this walk, each student will be presented with a WSU Everett lapel pin, a token of our shared commitment to academic excellence and community.”
Convocation, new faculty hires, and enhanced faculty roles come as part of WSU Everett’s ongoing commitment to providing quality education, fostering innovation, and creating an environment where students thrive.