Shoe recycling competition through April 20
RICHLAND, Wash. – The Nike “Reuse-A-Shoe” Recycling Competition starts Monday, March 26, and runs through April 20.
The fourth annual shoe recycling competition is among the community’s 2007 Earth Month activities and is sponsored by Washington State University Tri-Cities.
The shoes go to the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe program, where they are grounded up and turned into new athletic surfaces like soccer fields, basketball courts and running tracks.
“It’s great for the environment and it gives your old tennis shoes a second chance at some action,” said Doria Monter-Rogers, WSU Tri-Cities purchasing manager. “The goal is to keep shoes out of landfills. This competition also is an opportunity for our entire education system – kindergarten through college – to work together to improve our local environment.”
Shoes can be dropped off at any of these participating schools. The school that collects the most shoes wins $200.
– Badger Mountain Elementary, 1515 Elementary St., Richland.
– Marcus Whitman Elementary, 1704 Gray St., Richland.
– River’s Edge High School, 975 Gillespie St., Richland.
– Sunset View Elementary, 711 Center Parkway, Kennewick.
– Highlands Middle School, 425 S. Tweedt St., Kennewick.
– Desert Hills Middle School, 6011 W. 10th Place, Kennewick.
– Park Middle School, 1011 W. 10th Ave., Kennewick.
– Kennewick High School, 500 S. Dayton St., Kennewick.
– James McGee Elementary, 4601 Horizon Drive, Pasco.
– Edwin Markham Elementary, 4031 Elm Road, Pasco.
– Ellen Ochoa Middle School, 1801 E. Sheppard St., Pasco.