Cyber security tips: Creating a cyber secure home
Cyber security is just as important at home as it is at work and is key if you are working remotely. Take steps to secure your network.
Your wi-fi router is what controls your wireless network, and it most likely came with a default username and password:
- Change the password to a unique password that is not used on other devices
- If possible, change the default username
- Change the default name of the wireless network/SSID
- Use the strongest encryption available (older forms such as WEP are not secure)
Take additional steps to secure the devices that connect to your network:
- Make sure all connected devices use a strong and unique username/password
- Consider using a password manager to manage all unique passwords
- Ensure all operating systems, browsers, and apps are updated and patched
- Enable firewalls and anti-virus software
- Always enable multi-factor verification when possible
- Do regular automated backups
These tips are not just for work-assigned devices but should be considered for the safety of personal devices and data as well. For safety associated with your personal device, consider having separate devices for children.
You are your own best defense against cyber security attacks. Contact your ATO if you have any additional questions.