Information Technology Services (ITS), Academic Outreach and Innovation (AOI), and Washington State University Faculty Senate would like to remind the WSU community that Canvas will be WSU’s sole Learning Management System (LMS) beginning Fall 2021.
WSU’s current Blackboard access will expire on Aug. 21. In preparation for this, users who want to export Blackboard course data for non-Global courses should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the migration before Blackboard becomes unavailable. Alternatively, users are also able to manually transfer content by using the Transferring a Course from Blackboard to Canvas article.
To best meet the needs of students, Global Campus courses that are not already approved for Canvas will remain in Blackboard for Summer 2021. For more information about the process for migrating Global Campus courses, visit AOI’s Canvas transition communication.
- Get a Canvas Course Space:
Please contact your department course scheduler or campus course scheduler to create a Canvas course for Summer 2021 through myWSU.
- Your scheduler can assist with merging multiple sections of the same course into a single Canvas course space.
- Migrate Content:
For assistance exporting an existing Blackboard course to Canvas, please contact email@example.com.
- Be sure to include the Blackboard Course ID as well as the Canvas ID destination.
- For courses not delivered in Fall 2021, we suggest creating a sandbox to house content.
- Get a Sandbox:
Faculty and staff can create sandbox course spaces by completing the “sandbox course” request form.
Any incompletes (and subsequent grade submissions) in Blackboard must be completed prior to August 21, or transition to Canvas. For more information, review the communication sent to instructors from summer and fall 2020 Global Campus courses with pending incompletes.
- Student Work:
Student assignments and submissions cannot be recovered from Blackboard after August 21, users will need to download content from Blackboard before August 21.
The Perusall integration has been turned on in Canvas.
- Important: Summer 2021 courses that want to utilize the Perusall integration must use Canvas.
- For more information review the communication regarding Perusall inactivation in Blackboard on May 12 in order to support Perusall in Canvas.
- myWSU Grades:
Canvas grades can be synced directly with myWSU.
Resources & Support
- Access canvas at canvas.wsu.edu
- Review current Canvas Integrations
- Transfer a course from Blackboard to Canvas
- Use the Campus-Based Course Template in Canvas Commons
- Attend trainings and workshops from AOI
- Review AOI’s LMS tutorial page and the Canvas Knowledge Base
- Request course design assistance