Regents approve President Schulz’s 2022–23 goals and objectives
In their most recent September meeting, members of the WSU Board of Regents voted to approve President Kirk Schulz’s 2022–2023 annual goals and objectives.
The president’s objectives prioritize accessibility, recognizability, and efficacy of the system and its five campuses across the state as well as WSU Global. Also incorporated are specific targets related to the four focus areas of the WSU System Strategic Plan.
During his presentation to the regents, Schulz said he is proud of where the university stands and looks forward to continuing to build on key initiatives.
“I think we’ve come a long way in a year,” Schulz said. “I hope that a year from now you look and say, ‘Wow, we’ve made another huge, positive step forward.’”
Schulz’s goals for the current academic year include the following:
Fundraising campaign year two
- Identify and publicize areas of fundraising focus for colleges and campuses.
- Raise $145 million in new philanthropic funds.
- Build out residency programs and formally launch WSU Health across the WSU system.
- Officially launch the Pediatrics Residency program in Spokane.
Diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence
- Implement the use of the Equity Impact Assessment Tool across the WSU system.
- Continue with the highly successful cluster hiring program.
- Communicate WSU success stories more effectively in the metropolitan areas of Washington, including Seattle, Spokane, Vancouver, and the Tri-Cities
- Develop quarterly engagement plans with each campus chancellor surrounding the development of partnerships, philanthropy, and community engagement
- Implement a new budget model for the WSU system.
- Stabilize and increase enrollment across the WSU system at all campuses.
- Adopt a system-wide compensation philosophy for all employees.
- Explore the expansion of current efforts in the greater Nairobi, Kenya area into a campus consortium model similar to what was done for WSU Yakima.
- Using established goals identified in the WSU System Strategic Plan, the targets outlined in the table below will be met.
|Goal #||Focus Area||Metric||Proposed Target|
|1||Research, Innovation & Creativity||Total University R&D Expenditures||Increase by 5%|
|2||Student Experience||First-Year to Second-Year Retention Rate||Decrease gap by 1% between overall university retention and (a) pell-eligible students (b) first-generation students (c) students of color|
|3||Outreach, Extension, Service, and Engagement||Community Engagement||Develop system-wide consensus on (a) shared definition of community engagement (b) selection of a system-wide tool for data collection and management|
|4||Institutional Effectiveness and Infrastructure||Demographic data on faculty and staff diversity||Reduce reporting gaps (a) for faculty from 32.7% to 10% (b) for staff from 23.3% to 10%|