Seven WSU women to attend national leadership conference this summer
A group of women who hold teaching, research and administrative roles at WSU will receive nationally recognized leadership training and development under a new effort launched by the university.
The group nominated includes:
- Celestina Barbosa-Leiker, vice chancellor for research at WSU Spokane
- Lisa Guerrero, associate vice provost for equity and inclusive excellence
- Christine Horne, a professor in the Department of Sociology
- Chris Hoyt, vice president for strategy, planning, and analysis
- Laura Lavine, a professor and chair of the Department of Entomology
- Kim Christen, a professor and director of the Digital Technology and Culture Program
- Anna Plemons, associate vice chancellor of academic and student affairs at WSU Tri‑Cities
The seven women will participate in the Higher Education Resource Services’ Leadership Institute training this summer at Denver University. The institute is committed to addressing the gender gap in higher education leadership and creating and sustaining a diverse network of women-identified leaders.
Nominations were made by WSU System President Kirk Schulz, WSU Pullman Chancellor, Provost and Executive Vice President Elizabeth Chilton, Todd Butler, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and Kate McAteer, vice chancellor for academic and student affairs at WSU Tri‑Cities. Chilton is an alumnae of HERS’ Leadership Institute and has served as a faculty fellow for the program.
“The HERS Institute was career and life transforming for me. It allowed me to gain a broader understanding of the challenges and opportunities in higher education, develop leadership skills, engage in career mapping, and—perhaps most importantly—build and maintain a network of women colleagues that I have sustained over the past decade,” Chilton said. “I am excited for these women from WSU, each of whom is already a strong leader in the institution.”
The women selected for the leadership training will also held to develop a process for recommending additional nominees from across the WSU system for HERS leadership training in the future.