Clawing his way to the top, WSU’s loveable mascot Butch T. Cougar has earned the coveted national title as the Capital One Mascot of the Year.
The contest ran from Sept. 14-Dec. 18, pitting Butch against the mascots from 11 other Division IA and IAA athletic programs with college football teams.
In the end, it came down to a head-to-head face off with Testudo (“Fear the Turtle”), the mascot from the University of Maryland. In addition to the title and bragging rights, Butch also brought in a cool $10,000 to Washington State University athletics.
The competition included:
* Air Force Academy – The Bird
* Auburn University – Aubie
* Georgia Tech – Buzz
* North Carolina State – Mr. Wuf
* Syracuse University – Otto
* University of Kentucky – Wildcat
* University of Maryland – Testudo
* University of Oklahoma – Sooner
* University of Tennessee – Smokey
* University of Wisconsin – Bucky Badger
* Western Kentucky University – Big Red
You can check out individual photos and short videos of each of these mascots at www.capitalonebowl.com/BioDetail.aspx
“This was one of the most closely watched and fiercely fought competitions to date. The fans have spoken, and named Butch T. Cougar as king of the gridiron,” said Steve Schooff at Capital One. “This contest was designed to recognize the unsung heroes of college football, so we’re thrilled to see so many fans get behind their mascots.”
“Butch joins a prestigious list of winners,” added Schooff. Prior winners are a working man (Herbie the Husker, 2005), a grizzly bear (Univ. of Montana’s Monte, 2002 and 2004) and a gamecock (Univ. of South Carolina’s Cocky, 2003).