PULLMAN, Wash. — Lance T. LeLoup, chair of the Washington State
University political science department, has been named the WSU Claudius O.
and Mary W. Johnson Distinguished Professor of Political Science.
LeLoup, who was also interim director of the Thomas S. Foley Institute for the
last two years, is a leading authority on the federal budget,
congressional-presidential relations, comparative legislative politics, and
comparative public policy.
A Fulbright Senior Scholar at the Budapest University of Economics in 1995,
he continues to do research on economic and budget transformation in Central
and Eastern Europe. He has been involved with the development of public
policy curricula in CEE and East-West cooperation. LaLoup is affiliated with
the Budapest University of Economic Sciences and Public Administration, the
University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, and served on the faculty of Central
European University. He consulted on grants from the PEW Foundation, U.S.
Information Agency, and recently received a grant from the National Council
on Eastern European and Eurasian Research. He was named Mortar Board
Honor Society Distinguished Faculty of the Year in 2000.
During the spring semester LeLoup will be a visiting professor at l’Universite
Catholique de l’Oest in Angers, France, representing WSU on the Northwest
Council on Study Abroad.
LeLoup’s most recent books are “Budgeting, Management, and Policymaking:
A Comparative Perspective” and “The President and Congress: Collaboration
and Combat in National Policymaking.” He has published numerous articles in
scholarly journals including “The American Political Science Review,” “Journal
of Politics, Polity,” “Public Administration Review,” “Legislative Studies
Quarterly,” “American Politics Quarterly,” “Social Science Quarterly”, and
“Public Budgeting and Finance.” He is currently studying U.S. budget deficit
reduction and comparative public budgeting, and preparing a textbook on
The Johnson Distinguished Professorships were established in the
departments of Political Science and History, by the late Mary W. Johnson and
her late husband, Claudius O. Johnson. Claudius Johnson joined the faculty in
1928 as chair of the Department of History and Political Science. He served as
chair until 1951 and retired in 1960. The Claudius O. Johnson Tower building
was dedicated in his honor in 1967. He died in 1976. Mary Johnson was a
faculty member in physical education and a civic leader in the Pullman
community. She died in 1992 at the age of 92.
The three-year appointment is awarded to incumbent professors who focus on
U.S. politics and are noted for scholarly achievement and high quality
instruction. The professorship has previously been awarded to the late Charles
Sheldon and to Nicholas Lovrich.