PULLMAN, Wash.–A piece of history will be restored on the Washington State University campus, thanks in part to gifts from the Class of ’97 and the Golden Grad Class of ’47.
Members of this year’s graduating class have pledged $22,000, and the class of 1947, which conducted its golden anniversary reunion on campus recently, has donated $25,000 to build a replica of the university’s historic entry archway and to help fund other entrance enhancements.
The smaller arch replica will be the centerpiece of a proposed plaza and colonnade on the pedestrian walk constructed in 1996 west of the main entrance at Stadium Way and the Pullman-Moscow Highway.
The original arch, 36 feet wide and 36 feet high, was a gift from the Class of 1905, located at Oak Street and Administration Walk near the president’s home. It was removed in 1955 for a street improvement project.
The planned entrance beautification includes improvements to the existing WSU sign east of Stadium Way by enlarging the stone base, adding new lettering, a logo, lighting and landscaping. The sign is formed of stone from the original arch.
Construction is expected to begin by fall or early spring, according to David Smith, facilities development director. Estimated project costs are $180,000, with most of the funds coming from the university’s minor capital-improvement accounts.