“John is an outstanding administrator and a fierce advocate for the Washington State University athletics program,” said Schulz, who is chairing the search committee. “I couldn’t ask for a better-qualified individual to make sure that Cougar athletics continues to excel as we search for WSU’s next athletic director.”
Prior to joining WSU, Johnson served as athletic director at Eastern Washington University and at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah. Schulz and Johnson will meet with media representatives on Tuesday to discuss the future of WSU athletics.
Schulz also has appointed members of the search committee. In addition to Schulz, the committee members include:
· Jack Thompson – Alumnus, class of 1971; WSU quarterback from 1975 to 1978; business development partner for Cherry Creek Mortgage Company.
· June Daugherty – WSU women’s basketball coach.
· Gary Schneidmiller – Alumnus, class of 1971; owner of Coldwell Banker Schneidmiller Realty.
· Abu Kamara – Chair of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and track and field athlete.
· Nancy Swanger – Faculty athletics representative; associate dean and director of the WSU School of Hospitality Management; associate professor with the Carson College of Business.
· Greg Rankich – Alumnus, class of 1994; chief executive officer and president of Xtreme Consulting Group, Inc.
The university is encouraging public feedback on the next athletic director and the future of the intercollegiate athletics program. Comments, including names of qualified individuals who should be considered for the position, can be provided in the feedback section of a new website launched by the search committee.
Bill Moos, who had served as WSU’s athletic direct since 2010, was named director of athletics at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln on Sunday.