By Alyssa Patrick, Office of Research
Eight faculty from WSU arts and humanities departments received a total of $75,142 in grants from the Office of Research and Office of the Provost.
Funded through the 2016 strategic reallocation process, the grants are created to strengthen and enhance research and creative endeavors within WSU arts and humanities.
The Office of Research Advancement and Partnerships (ORAP) issued a request for proposals in March, and received 19 proposals representing English, music, fine arts, history, foreign languages and critical culture, gender and race studies (CCGRS). A review committee selected eight winning proposals. The review committee included faculty members Todd Butler, Greg Yasinitsky, Debbie Lee and A.G. Rud, and ORAP proposal manager Becky James.
“The range of funded projects clearly shows not only the vitality of WSU’s scholarly and creative programs in these areas, but also our faculty’s commitment to reach beyond our campus and engage local, national, and international audiences,”said Butler, associate professor and chair of the Department of English.
The awardees include:
- Peter Chilson: Travel and interview/observation expenses to work on nonfiction book, The Refugee; Department of English
- Luz Maria Gordillo: Travel to conduct research for book entitled Patients, Pedagogues, Philanthropists and Field Workers; CCGRS and History, WSU Vancouver
- Kevin Haas: Rocky Mountain Printmaking Alliance Symposium; Department of Fine Arts
- Xinmin Liu: Research travel to Hangzhou and Huzhou, China to study revitalized rural towns in preparation for WSU conference on rural environments; Department of Foreign Languages and Cultures
- Danh Pham: Concerto for Jazz Piano and Wind Ensemble: Bringing Jazz Music to Asia; Department of Music
- Linda Russo: Biome Writing: Ecology and Literature on the Palouse; Department of English
- Shannon Scott: Musical Recording and Performance; Department of Music
- Sophia Tegart: Asian and Asian American Commissions for Wind Quintet; Department of Music
For full descriptions of the projects, please visit https://research.wsu.edu/research-initiatives/strategic-reallocation-research-projects/arts-humanities-grants