Cougar football kicks off on home turf Saturday in Pullman
PULLMAN, Wash. – Two weeks into the season, the Washington State Cougars football team will play its first 2014 game on the turf of Martin Stadium beginning at 5 p.m. this Saturday against the Vikings of Portland State University.
By mid-week, close to 3,000 tickets remained available for the Cougar’s Pullman opener.
As always, the WSU football home weekend will be packed with a variety of activities and events for the Cougar faithful of all ages, who are encouraged to join WSU in celebrating Reunion Weekend, Future Cougar Day, and Armed Forces Appreciation Day.
Some of WSU’s most seasoned alumni will become the focus this Friday as WSU’s Lewis Alumni Center opens its doors to host the Diamond Reunion of the class of 1954 and the Golden Reunion of the class of 1964. All members of those classes are invited to participate in the festivities.
Perhaps the most well-known member of the class of 1954, legendary journalist and sports broadcasting figure Keith Jackson will also be in Pullman this weekend for a 3 p.m. dedication ceremony Friday at The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication.
Jackson, a celebrated broadcaster who was the first play-by-play announcer on Monday Night Football and a fixture on ABC’s Wide World of Sports during a career that spanned more than 40 years, will be on hand Friday for the re-naming of the current Murrow West Building as Keith M. Jackson Hall. He is also expected to be in attendance during Saturday’s football game.
Friday events will also include the return of “First Down Friday,” a free community pep rally hosted by the Pullman Chamber of Commerce beginning at 5 p.m. and featuring merchandise and food vendors, a beer garden, live entertainment and activities for the kids.
A Feast of the Arts – a gourmet dining experience prepared by students of WSU’s School of Hospitality Business Management – will also return on Friday. One of the hottest tickets in Pullman, the popular dinner series begins at 6 p.m. with a reception at WSU’s Museum of Art and progresses to a four-course gourmet meal featuring Wine by Cougar wines at the Marriott Foundation Hospitality Teaching Center at WSU’s Todd Hall Addition. Online registration for the event is available at http://bit.ly/1pQRtIL.
On Saturday, a variety of activities and events will take place throughout the day prior to kickoff. Those include:
- Brelsford WSU Visitor Center Wine Tasting and Open House,150 E. Spring St., from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Raptor Club Football Walk, beginning at in the vicinity of Terrell Mall and Stadium Way at 1 p.m., will feature WSU Veterinary students and club members exhibiting a number of non-releasable hawks, owls, and falcons. The event will feature photo opportunities and a chance to see and learn about these amazing creatures up close from highly trained and knowledgeable club members.
- KickOff at the CUB, in the M.G. Carey Senior Ballroom of the CUB beginning at 2 p.m., features family-fun activities, giveaways, an appearance by the Cougar Marching Band and country-wide football games displayed on large-screen TVs. Two affordable menus are provided by University Catering. Beer and wine service is provided by Southfork Public House.
- Food Fair at the Field House, beginning at 2 p.m. in the Hollingbery Field House, features food and beverages in a tailgating atmosphere. No entrance fee required and food from six local vendors is available for purchase. The WSU Marching Band and cheerleading squad will perform.
- Recent Grad Tent Party, at Rogers Field beginning at 2 p.m., is an exclusive event for recent WSU grads and their friends. Food and beverages will be available and drawings will be held for free tickets to future Cougar football games.
General parking for home football games is available on campus in designated parking areas on the eastern side of campus. General parking permits can be purchased online prior to game day for $15 or at the entrances to the lots on game day for $20. General parking lots are filled on a first come, first served basis. Game Day parking information and a link to a campus general parking map are available online here. For additional information regarding general parking, call WSU Transportation Services, 509-335-PARK (7275).
For the convenience of those who might wish to park off-campus, WSU has teamed up with Pullman Transit to establish Park and Ride locations where fans can park vehicles for free and catch a Cougar-themed Pullman Transit bus for the ride to Martin Stadium. Buses are scheduled to arrive and depart from each location at approximately 15-minute intervals. The Park and Ride lots will be opened three hours prior to each home game.
A map of Park and Ride locations is available at http://bit.ly/ZibJxZ.
Overnight RV parking permits for this weekend’s game have been sold out. Additional RV parking information is available online at http://bit.ly/1tCs3T0.
Fans should also note that Stadium Way will be closed from three hours before kickoff until 1½ hours after the end of the game. Find helpful Gameday Traffic and Travel information at http://bit.ly/1whpyHS.
Robert Strenge, WSU News, 509-335-3583, email@example.com