Free recipes featured in Colville tribal calendar
Salmon soup with wapato
and cattail shoots
1. Place wapato roots, cattails, onions, water and juniper berries in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Decrease heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes, until wapato roots are tender.
3. Add salmon and cook 8-10 minutes until just done.
4. Remove salmon with slotted spoon or spatula and continue simmering soup.
5. Remove skin and bones from salmon.
6. To serve, break salmon into bite-size pieces and distribute among soup bowls; ladle soup on top.
Better use of food resources
Recipes tested at luncheon
In print and online
Reading in the Kitchen
- WSU Colville Reservation-Ferry County Extension
- Colville Tribal Food Distribution Program
- Colville Tribal Resource Centers and Libraries
- WSU Douglas County Extension
- Colville Tribal Language Preservation Program
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
Colville Agency Bureau of Indian Affairs