Photos by Shelly Hanks, WSU Photo Services
Cougar defense shines
in first 2010 scrimmage
By Joseph Nickell, WSU Athletics
PULLMAN – The WSU football team held its first scrimmage of fall camp Saturday at Martin Stadium, and the Cougar defense held its offensive counterpart in check for most of the afternoon.
Four different Cougar defenders recorded sacks, including redshirt senior defensive end Kevin Kooyman, redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Steven Hoffart, redshirt freshman safety Casey Locker and freshman defensive tackle Kalafitoni Pole.
The defensive pressure also forced two interceptions, one from redshirt freshman cornerback Nolan Washington on a tipped pass by senior safety Chima Nwachukwu, and another from redshirt freshman cornerback Anthony Carpenter.
Carpenter’s interception turned out to be the only incompletion of the afternoon for redshirt junior quarterback Marshall Lobbestael, who completed 9-of-10 for 69 yards while working with the second unit. Lobbestael also tossed a 10-yard touchdown to freshman wide receiver Kristoff Williams.
Sophomore quarterback Jeff Tuel completed 3-of-9 for 27 yards, and also threw an interception. The only other score of the day for the Cougar offense came on a 28-yard touchdown pass from freshman quarterback Connor Halliday to freshman wide receiver Austin Ehlo.
Freshman wide receiver Marquess Wilson led the Cougars in both catches (six) and yards (51), while Williams (3/26), junior wide receiver Isiah Barton (2/29) and sophomore running back Carl Winston (2/14) also caught multiple passes.
On the ground, the Cougars were led by redshirt freshman Leon Brooks and redshirt senior James Montgomery, who each picked up 20 yards on five carries. Freshman Rickey Galvin also rushed five times, picking up 19 yards.
The Cougars return to the practice field Sunday for the second of five two-a-days. The morning session will begin at 8:30 a.m., while the second session will begin at 3:30 p.m.
WSU’s next scrimmage is scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 26 at 4 p.m.
PULLMAN – The Cougar football team is gearing up for a strong 2010 season as the coaching staff builds and stretches their players with rigorous practices this month. See Soundslides.
- Fri., Aug. 13, 8:30 a.m., and 3:30 p.m. practice (full pads)
Sat., Aug. 14, 2 p.m., Scrimmage/practice (full pads)
Sun., Aug. 15, 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. practice (full pads)
- Mon., Aug. 16, Day Off
- Tue., Aug. 17, 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. practice (full pads)
Wed., Aug. 18, 2 p.m., practice (full pads)
Thur., Aug. 19, 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Fri., Aug. 20, 2 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Sat., Aug. 21, 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Sun., Aug. 22, 2 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Mon., Aug. 23, no practice, start of classes
- Tue., Aug. 24, 4 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Wed., Aug. 25, 4 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Thur., Aug. 26, 4 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Fri., Aug. 27, 4 p.m., practice (full pads)
- Sat., Aug. 28, 10 a.m., practice (full pads)
- Sun., Aug. 29, Day Off
- Mon., Aug. 30, 8 p.m., practice
- Tue., Aug. 31, 4 p.m., practice
- Wed., Sept. 1, 4 p.m., practice
- Thur., Sept. 2, 4 p.m., practice
- Fri., Sept. 3, travel day
Sat., Sept. 4, 4 p.m. (PT), Cougars at Oklahoma State