By Whitney Denney and Mary Miller
Academic Success & Career Center
More than 120 employers from across the Northwest and the nation are sending recruiters to the Pullman campus next week to interview students for jobs and internships.
The Career Expo, set for 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Beasley Coliseum on Tuesday, Feb. 6, is the spring semester’s largest recruiting event at WSU Pullman. Organized by the Academic Success and Career Center (ASCC), the event is open to all students, with 55 percent of the companies registered at this year’s expo expressing interest in speaking with students from any major.
Faculty and staff play a prominent role
Faculty and staff are encouraged to work with students in preparation to meet with recruiters when they come to campus. “The Academic Success and Career Center is dedicated to providing career-development opportunities for all WSU students. However, we rely on our faculty and staff within departments to encourage students to participate in and take advantage of these opportunities,” says Terese King, Director of the ASCC.
Improving students’ career readiness is a campus-wide initiative. “We hope that faculty and staff will encourage students to attend the Career Expo by allowing flexibility for students to attend the Career Expo during the day on February 6,” says Christie Motley, Assistant Director of the ASCC for Career, Employer Relations, Student Employment, and Peace Corps.
Upcoming readiness, networking events
In the days preceding the Career Expo, there are career preparation and networking events taking place across campus. You can view a list of these events on the ASCC website.
To prepare students for career success, the ASCC hosts a variety of events throughout the semester covering topics from building a resume to how to develop a job search strategy. Faculty and staff can also reach out to the ASCC to request presentations for classes, clubs, or other student groups they mentor.
Below are a list of upcoming events ideal for students:
- Preparing for the Career Expo: Tuesday, January 30th/ 4:10-5:00 pm in Todd 120
- Etiquette Dinner & Fashion Showcase: Wednesday January 31st/ 5:30- 8:30 pm in CUB Senior Ballroom
- LinkedIn & Handshake Workshop: Thursday, February 1st/ 3:00-4:00 in Bundy Reading Room in Avery Hall
- Employer Led Resume Reviews: Monday, February 5th/ 10:00am- 3:00pm in Lighty 180
- Career Expo: Tuesday, February 6th/ 10:00am – 3:00pm in Beasley Coliseum
- Jumpstart Your Job Search: Wednesday, February 14th/ 4:10- 5:00pm in Todd 120
- How to Write an Effective Resume: Thursday, February 22nd/ 4:10- 5:00pm
- Ace Your Interview: Wednesday, February 28th/ 4:10- 5:00pm in Todd 120
- Get Connected with LinkedIn: Tuesday, March 6th/ 4:10-5:00pm in Todd 120
- Jumpstart Your Job Search: Thursday, March 8th/ 4:10- 5:00pm in Todd 120
- How to Write an Effective Resume: Thursday, March 22th/ 4:10- 5:00 pm in Todd 120
- Ace Your Interview: Wednesday, March 28th/ 4:10 – 5:00pm in Todd 120
- Applying to Graduate and Professional School: Wednesday, April 4th/ 4:10- 5:00pm
- Creating and Perfecting Your CV: Monday, April 9th/ 4:10- 5:00pm
For questions about the Career Expo and associated events, contact Christie Motley at email@example.com. To request a workshop or presentation, please use the presentation request form on the ASCC website.