By Alyssa Patrick, Office of Research
Nine junior faculty from across WSU colleges and campuses received New Faculty Seed Grants to kick-start development of their research, scholarly or creative portfolios.
The Office of Research and Office of the Provost support the annual New Faculty Seed Grants to help junior faculty develop research, scholarly or creative programs that lead to sustained professional development and extramural funding.
Faculty who have been at WSU for less than four years were encouraged to send in proposals. This year, 49 proposals were received. Each proposal underwent a rigorous process that included a primary review by an emphasis area review panel, followed by a secondary review by the Research and Arts Committee.
The nine selected proposals represent the range of scholarly activity taking place at WSU. The total amount of grant funding is $259,280.
Winners and their projects:
- Demetrius Abshire: The rural-urban obesity disparity: Do psychosocial and environmental factors matter? College of Nursing, WSU Spokane
- Aboutaleb Ameli: Active materials and structures enabled by 3D printing of polymer nanocomposites, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, WSU Tri-Cities
- Haipeng Cai: Incremental taint analysis for efficient and precise vetting of evolving android apps, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Devasmita Chakraverty: Imposter phenomenon in medicine and biomedical sciences, Department of Teaching and Learning, WSU Spokane
- Zachariah Heiden: Using fluorescent dyes for the generation of switchable catalysts, Department of Chemistry
- Emily Huddart Kennedy: Green consumerism and social inequality, Department of Sociology
- Jong-Hoon Kim: A dedirtic nanotip sensor for amplification-free, rapid detection of DNA, School of Engineering and Computer Science, WSU Vancouver
- Shannon Scott: Asian and Asian American wind quintet commissions tour and recording project, School of Music
- Boyang Wu: Deciphering the stromai-tumor cell interaction in prostate cancer, Pharmaceutical Sciences, WSU Spokane
To see full abstracts of the research website.
- Maureen Bonnefin, Office of Research Proposal Manager, (509)335-9661, email@example.com