By Lori Maricle, College of Pharmacy
SPOKANE, Wash. – Annual awards and alumni/donors who allowed the College of Pharmacy to present $325,000 in student scholarships this year were celebrated recently at the Washington State University Health Sciences campus in Spokane.
New scholarships and endowment funds were recognized, including the Dean’s Endowed Professorship, which will reinforce and elevate the college as a leader in collaborative research, scholarship and education of outstanding health care professionals and scientists. The Class of 1965 Endowed Scholarship in Pharmacy will support students in the doctor of pharmacy program.
Gerald Danquist, class of 1965, was named Alumnus of the Year and recognized for contributions to name the Danquist Innovation Conference Room in the Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences Building.
Other awards presented by the College of Pharmacy included:
• Distinguished Service Award: Gerald G. Briggs, class of 1968
• Phi Lambda Sigma honorary member: Joshua Neumiller, Pharm.D.
• Pharmacy Students of the Year, voted on by WSU pharmacy faculty:
o Tory Knebel, class of 2019
o Haleigh Miller, class of 2018
o Courtney Mayo, class of 2017
• Pharmacy Teachers of the Year, voted on by each doctor of pharmacy class:
o PY1 – Connie Remsberg, Ph.D., Pharm.D./Damianne Brand-Eubanks, Pharm.D.
o PY2 – Kim McKeirnan, Pharm.D.
o PY3 – Mark Garrison, Pharm.D.
o PY4 – Megan Willson, Pharm.D.
o Graduate program – Kathryn Meier, Ph.D.
o Teaching Assistant – Mahamudul Haque/Shannon Kozlovich
National awards included:
• U.S. Public Health Service “Excellence in Public Health” Pharmacy Award: Juliet Nguyen, class of 2018
• National Community Pharmacists Association Student of the Year: Derek Matlock, class of 2017