SPOKANE, Wash. – Several activities are occurring this week and next as Washington State University students return to the Spokane campus. Classes have started for 40 new medical students who arrived last week for orientation. Nine second-year medical students will arrive this week.
Orientation continues for 134 new doctor of pharmacy students, and tomorrow orientation begins for approximately 90 new students in the bachelor of science in nursing program. Classes begin for all but the medical students on Monday, Aug. 25.
Additional news and photo tips and opportunities:
Thursday and Friday, Aug. 21-22
• Scavenger hunt: New students will work in interdisciplinary teams (just as they will in their unique WSU Spokane education) using an app on their phones in a race to find resources and locations on campus. Thursday, 9:30-11 a.m., Spokane Academic Center, 600 N. Riverpoint Blvd.
• New student BBQ, ice cream from Ferdinand’s and photo booth with “flat” Butch T. Cougar. Thursday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Spokane Academic Center patio.
• Nursing students, faculty and staff will have lunch. Lots of Cougar colors. Friday, 1-2 p.m., on the patio between the Nursing building and the Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences building.
• New doctor of pharmacy students will receive their white coats at a ceremony Friday, 2-4 p.m., at the Lincoln Center. More than 600 people are expected to attend.
Monday, Aug. 25 – Friday, Aug. 29
• Students set up information tables about their groups to interest other students. Monday, noon-2 p.m., Spokane Academic Center patio.
• Lawn Games Extravaganza, hosted by Associated Students of WSU Spokane. Tuesday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Spokane Academic Center patio.
• Volleyball tournament. Wednesday, 3:30-6:30 p.m., Spokane Academic Center patio.
• All Campus Fall Barbecue. Thursday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Spokane Academic Center patio.
• College of Pharmacy students have BBQ hamburgers cooked by the dean and other administrators. Friday, 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m., lawn in front of the Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences building.
Terren Roloff, director, WSU Spokane Communications and Public Affairs, 509-358-7527, email@example.com