Jay Starratt, associate vice chancellor for Information Technology and dean of Library and Information Services at Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville, has been named as the dean of the Libraries at Washington State University.
Starratt will begin his new position effective Dec. 1, 2007.
Robert C. Bates, provost and executive vice president said Starratt “brings a wealth of experience, including a background in information technology, that will be a great asset for the faculty and staff of the Libraries as they advance the development of the library system.”
Starratt visited the WSU Pullman campus on June 6 and 7. He earned a B.A. and a M.A. of Library Science from Emory University.
Previously, Starratt served as director of technical and automation services at SIU Carbondale’s Morris Library. Other professional positions include assistant director for administrative services at the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s Library and assistant to the director and supervisor of circulation at Emory University Library.
He has been in leadership positions at the state level for the IACRL and the ILA and nationally for the ALA, the ACRL, the Library Administration and Management Association (LAMA), and the Library and Information Technology Association. He also co-chaired the IACRL/Illinois Board of Higher Education Liaison Committee and served as a member and chair of the ILCSO Policy Council and as president of ILCSO.
His awards and honors include: Illinois Academic Librarian of the Year in 2002 and the Hugh C. Atkinson Memorial Award in 2005. His research interests are in the areas of technology and library cooperation.
Ginny Steel, former director of libraries, accepted a position at UC Santa Cruz the summer of 2005 and Cindy Kaag has served as interim director of the Libraries since that time.
The search committee was appointed in December 2006. Muriel Oaks, dean of the Center for Distance and Professional Education, chaired the search committee. The search committee members were:
* Trevor Bond, special collections librarian, Libraries
* Bonny Boyan, personnel, Coordinator, Libraries
* Jim Evermann, professor, VCS, VCAPP
* Howard Grimes, dean, Graduate School
* Dennis Haarsager, associate vice president, Educational and Public Media
* Daryl Herbison, information tech specialist, Libraries
* Carol Ivory, professor, Fine Arts
* Joseph Judy, director, Info Services & Facilities
* Beth Lindsay, assistant dean, Public Svc & Outreach, Libraries
* Sarah McCord, reference librarian, Health Science Library
* David Pietz, assistant professor, History
* Kathy Vogeler, information tech, ITS Distributed Support Services
* Leslie Wykoff, director, Vancouver Information Services