PULLMAN, Wash. — George A. Grant, president of his own general
contracting firm in Pasco, received the Washington State University Alumni
Achievement Award Oct. 4 at WSU Tri-Cities. The presentation was made at
the WSU President’s Associates reception, recognizing major donors to the
Grant was recognized for his commitment to his community, church, WSU and
his fellow man.
He began his general contracting firm in the Tri-Cities in 1955. Since that time,
he has built everything from a Wendy’s hamburger franchise to the Tri-Cities
Cancer Center, the Environmental Molecular Science Center at Hanford, the
IBP Inc. plant, and Hanford House. Over the years, he has donated labor to a
number of construction projects, including the Northwest Public Radio
transmitter on Johnson Butte and Pasco’s Knights of Columbus Hall, as well
as improvements to public parks along the Columbia River.
The Twisp native grew up in Del Rio, a tiny town west of Grand Coulee, where
he worked as a concrete inspector on Grand Coulee Dam from 1936-41. The
1936 WSU graduate in mechanical engineering, was a member of Phi Kappa
Tau fraternity, and two honor societies — Tau Beta Phi and Sigma Tau. He
received a commission through the Army ROTC program, served with the U.S.
Army in World War II, and retired as a full colonel after 30 years in the Army
The former Pasco city councilman served on the Tri-City Industrial Council,
the United Way board, and the Gonzaga University Board of Regents. He is a
past president of the Inland Empire Chapter of the Associated General
Contractors and received the chapter’s Sir Award for service. In 1994, he was
recognized as “Tri-Citian of the Year.”
In 1996, Grant and his wife established the George and Marianne Grant
Endowed Athletic Scholarship at WSU to support the education of
student-athletes. In addition, the Grants are WSU President’s Associates and
Stadium Builders, as well as generous supporters of the WSU Alumni
Association, Cougar Club and Northwest Public Radio.