Print Email Facebook Twitter Release Share Font Size: A A A A
April 7-8 at Humboldt State
WSU women's rugby driving to regional playoffs
Friday, Apr. 6, 2012
By Robert Frank, WSU News
WSU's undefeated women's rugby club members packed their gear into vans Thursday to begin the drive to Arcata, Calif., where they are pursuing the Pacific regional playoff title and a slot at the national Division 2 title. (Photos by Shelly Hanks, WSU Photo Services)
PULLMAN, Wash. - Washington State University's women rugby team left at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, April 5, to drive to Humboldt State University to make another bid for the Pacific region championship title. If all goes well, the team is hoping for a shot at the U.S. rugby national title.
The regional tournament will be played April 7-8 in Arcata, Calif., with WSU facing off against UC Santa Cruz on Saturday. Due to tight finances, the team will be driving in vans to the tournament.
The team won the national Division 2 collegiate title on May 1, 2010, in Palo Alto, Calif.
This year, the rugby team is 6-0, having just earned the No. 1 seed from the Pacific Northwest Rugby Football Union. This league includes: Western Washington University, Seattle University, Western Oregon University, Reed University, University of Washington and Central Washington University.
2011-2012 season recap
Here's a quick recap of the 2011-2012 season so far:
- Oct. 1 vs. Betterside (Montana) @ Valley Road Playfield C: W (36-22)
- Oct. 29 vs. Western Washington University @ Valley Rd Playfield C: W (17-12)
- Nov. 5 vs. Seattle University @ Valley Road Playfield C: W (96-0)
- Nov. 12 vs. Oregon State University @ Valley Road Playfield C: W (68-5)
- Nov. 19 vs. Western Oregon University @ Monmouth, OR: W (34-5)
- Feb. 4 vs. Reed University @ Valley Road Playfield C: W (forfeit)
- Feb. 25 vs. University of Washington @ Valley Road Playfield C: W (42-0)
- March 3 vs. Central Washington University @ Ellensburg, WA: W (74-0)
- March 24 vs. Idaho Nemesis @ Riggins, ID: W (62-5)
Pacific Coast Regional Playoff schedule
Following is a schedule for the Pacific Coast Regional Playoffs, Saturday-Sunday, April 7-8, at Humboldt State University.
- 2 p.m. Saturday, Match A: Humboldt St (Northern California #1 seed) vs. Western Washington University (Pacific Northwest #2 seed)
- 4 p.m. Saturday, Match B: UC Santa Cruz (Northern California #2 seed) vs. WSU (Pacific Northwest #1 seed)
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Match C: Winner of Match A vs. Winner of Match B (above)
- 4 p.m. PM Match D: Loser of Match A vs. Loser of Match B
National playoff schedule
- Winner of Match C is PCRFU #1 in USAR Round of 32
- Loser of Match C is PCRFU #2 in USAR Round of 32
- Winner of Match D is First Alternate in USAR Round of 32
- USAR Playoffs: 4/20/12 (Friday) & 4/21/12 (Saturday); Venue TBD (2 PCRFU Seeds)
USAR Finals: 5/11/12 (Friday) & 5/12/12 (Saturday); Venue TBD
For information on the U.S. national rugby playoffs, go to the USA Rugby.org.
Rugby club fundraising
To help raise funds for its playoff efforts, the WSU women's rugby club is hiring out for work at $10 per hour per worker, with a minimum of two people. For more information, contact the team at email@example.com.
To make a donation go to website at http://womensrugby.wsu.edu/donate.aspx
WSU women's rugby team pose after winning April 2012 regional championship, crushing Central Washington University 74-0.