Print Email Facebook Twitter Release Share Font Size: A A A A
Consider alternate solution
WSU's Symantec Antivirus license expires Feb. 15
Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2010
By Casey Hanson, Information Services
PULLMAN - The Symantec Antivirus license for WSU faculty, staff and students will expire on Tuesday, Feb. 15. This could impact both office and home computers for WSU employees, as well as students.
In Symantec's place, ITS is providing MS Forefront free for use by WSU faculty and staff on WSU-owned work computers. However, use of MS Forefront is currently not available to students and employees for personal or home computers.
Here is a general breakdown of the new antivirus services.
WSU Employees Office Computers
- Some departments may continue with Symantec or provide a different antivirus.
- Faculty and staff should contact their unit area technology officer or local IT support staff to determine their respective areas antivirus requirements.
- ITS will provide MS Forefront free for use by WSU faculty and staff on WSU-owned work computers; this will be available in February.
WSU Students and Employee Personal/Home Computers
- Students, faculty and staff using Symantec downloaded from WSU on their personal home computers will no longer be licensed for Symantec on Feb. 16.
- Employees and students should uninstall Symantec and replace it with an alternative antivirus product.
- MS Forefront is currently not available for home use through WSU.
Many free and paid antivirus options are available for individuals to choose from. Faculty, staff and graduate students on appointment are encouraged to contact their unit area technology officer or local IT support staff as antivirus requirements may vary by department.
The ITS Help Desk provides support for MS Forefront, MS Security Essentials and Symantec. For questions please contact your local IT support staff or the ITS Help Desk at 509-335-HELP (4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org.